Last month I was contacted by TLC Book Tours and asked if I’d be willing to read the book Code to Joy: The Four-Step Solution to Unlocking Your Natural State of Happiness and write a review of it on my blog.
This is a virtual book tour that has ‘stops’ at various websites or blogs for a particular book over the period of one month with April being the month for this book tour.
I was immediately intrigued by the book first with the title. As a Holistic Health Coach, I understand the importance of having a balanced life in all aspects. The picture of health is more than the food we feed our body, and our emotions play a big part in how we relate to those around us.
I feel the tools provided in Code to Joy: The Four-Step Solution to Unlocking Your Natural State of Happiness can be very valuable for most everyone. I know it is very valuable info that I will pass along to my clients on a Recommended Reading List.
In fact, I will say this book will transform your life.
I received the book just four weeks ago today and knew I had limited time to read it, apply it and write my review. I had a perfect window of opportunity with a break from our major home project work for a few days as my husband traveled over several days. I am very thankful for the rare opportunity of two full days to do nothing but read and reflect as I read the book.
I finished reading the book — pages folded, text underlined and highlighted throughout. What an incredible book! But I was not done yet — there was yet work to be done. Next on my list was to work through the Four Step Process sometime over the next few weeks — either with a partner or on my own. More details about this process a little later.
I will say again: This book will transform your life.
The worst thing about this fog of distress is that it can be so persistent that we come to think of it as “normal”. We are designed with extraordinary capacities for growth, self-regulation, and self-healing. Our innate blueprint is beautifully crafted to produce a life of productivity, creativity, fulfillment, and joy. We are meant to be happy. Instinctively, we all know this somewhere deep inside. We all know what it’s like to feel a burst of delight. Every one of us has at some point in our lives experienced a sense of ecstatic joy, of euphoria at the sheer sensation of being alive.
Have you ever wondered why that experience has to be so rare and fleeting?
The answer is, It doesn’t.
~ from Code To Joy
What is this fog of distress? It can be described as:
- a nagging feeling of unease, though we’ve been blocking it from our conscious awareness
- it stays with us like the headache that is persistently ‘barely there’
- it interferes with our life in many aspects, including relationships, work performance, finding/achieving fulfillment in career, marriage and relationships with friends, family and colleagues.
- it is made of feelings and beliefs consisting of part subconscious and part bioelectrical (like radio static)
- it may manifest as an anxiety, a fear, or a particular problem
How do we dissipate this persistent fog of distress?
Acclaimed clinical psychologists George Pratt, Ph.D. and Dr. Peter Lambrou, Ph.D. have worked with more than 45,000 individual clients over decades and have seen remarkable consistent and reliable results. They have developed this protocol with four simple, proven steps to help you unlock the secret to your innate happiness.
This four step program has been adapted into a simple protocol that you can self-administer with effective results. I encourage you to consider taking this step in self-discovery and growth!
Here is an overview of the Four Steps:
- Identify your “asteroid strikes” (past events that had the deepest or most significant negative impact on you and Identify your strongest self-limiting beliefs, and finally Verify (with neuromuscular feedback, also referred to as muscle testing or kinesiology) which elements are pertinent to your past event that are getting in your way. The purpose of this step is to identify your strongest self-limiting beliefs.
- Clear or neutralize/balance your neuromuscular system. This involves a breathing exercise called Crosshand breathing, a Grounding exercise, and a few other optional exercises, if necessary. The purpose of this step is to rebalance your body’s energy system and prepare it for repatterning.
- Repattern or remove the self-limiting beliefs — effectively, in a way think of this as your ‘reset’ button. This will be accomplished with some visualization exercises and acupressure. The purpose of this step is to release negative beliefs and install new empowering beliefs in their place.
- Anchor these new empowering beliefs for a deep and long-lasting effect. These final steps will be practiced several times over the next 30 days as your Daily Refresher. The purpose of this step is to ensure that the results of the first three steps are deep and long-lasting.
What I love about this process as learned while applying the Four Steps is the attention to the intimate connection between body, mind, and spirit. Our body is an energy field, and through the book you will come to better understand how important it is to balance our polarity.
As I already mentioned, I read through the book over one weekend and had time to list my possible ‘asteroid strikes’. I had the three weeks in between to either find a partner for the neuromuscular feedback exercise or learn to master the self test — watch the video here. I found the self test to work for me after some practice.
I have completed the first three steps in the Four Step Process and am practicing my Daily Refresher exercises going forward. I have selected the image for this post to represent my personal Symbol of Balance.
I encourage you to preview the book and read the foreword by Larry King. See if you are not also intrigued and inspired to purchase this book to help you unlock your personal state of happiness.
We were designed and created to be happy. It’s our nature. It just gets covered up by the fog of disasters. And once we’re able to clear away that dark cloud of debris left by the asteroids, earthquakes, and volcanoes of our past, we can see the clear blue skies above and feel the bright, warming sun that never really left us.
~ George Pratt, Ph.D. and Peter Lambrou, Ph.D.
Thank you to TLC Book Tours for reaching out and offering me this opportunity! It has been a pleasure to experience this in my life. My hope is that you are inspired to go on this journey of discovery for yourself.
I look forward to feedback from those of you who may have already read this book and certainly from those of you who decide to read the book. Share this post with those you know on Facebook and Twitter — this may be exactly what they’ve been looking for!
Your Partner in Health,